Saturday, November 8, 2008

WEEK 10 PICKS!


NFL MIDSEASON! The season is halfway over, and some things never change. The Lions are terrible, the Patriots are tied for first place, Favre is still starting, the Steelers have a great defense, etc. 

There are a lot of interesting new things going on in the NFL too. Tennessee is on top of the league, the AFC West is the loser's bracket, Eli is the more successful Manning! 

Lots to watch for the rest of the year, here are the week 10 picks. 

DENVER BRONCOS @ (-2.5) CLEVELAND BROWNS
This game has already been played, and Denver won 34-30. It was a great game to watch, sadly those people who don't have NFL network did not get to watch. I hope that the NFL and the cable companies get all that nonsense sorted out soon. ANYWAY...it really was a fun game to watch. In the interest of 'journalistic integrity' I will tell you what I told a co-worker of mine on Tuesday night about this game:
Doug: Who do you like in the Denver game?
Me: I don't know, it's hard for me to pick the Broncos with all their injuries on defense. 
Doug: I can't pick against Denver, I always pick Denver in my pool.
Me: Ok Doug, but I gave you fair warning, I like the Browns.
Doug: I'll remember that, thanks.

So yea I took the Browns, I thought their offense would run wild against the banged up Denver defense. For a while that's exactly what happened, the first half was an offensive showcase by Cleveland. I give a lot of credit to Denver though, they got even more banged up, fought through injuries and made big plays when they needed to. Peyton Hillis, the rookie fullback from Arkansas, ended up as the only back available for Denver. A great win for the Broncos, and they are still going to win the AFC Worst at 8-8. 

BALTIMORE RAVENS @ (-1.5) HOUSTON TEXANS
Houston has been playing well of late, winning 3 of 4. The loss was a close loss @ Minnesota last week in a game where Matt Schaub got hurt. He's out again this week, and I think the Ravens put a lot of pressure on the quarterback, forcing some turnovers. Baltimore has won three in a row, after losing three in a row earlier in the year. I like what the Ravens have been doing offensively, keeping a balanced attack. You know the defense is going to show up, but if the offense continues to play well, Baltimore is going to be a dangerous team down the stretch. 

ST LOUIS RAMS @ (-7.5) NEW YORK JETS
The Jets have been sneaking by opponents despite not playing great. Remember two weeks ago when the Rams had just beat Washington and Dallas in back-to-back weeks? I barely remember it also, I think it was a fluke. Steven Jackson isn't playing for StL so I'm gonna take the Jets at home. Can we start calling the Jets the "J-Men"? If the Giants can be the "G-Men" why can't the Jets have an annoying name that Chris Berman can yell too much? 

BUFFALO BILLS @ (-3.5) NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
A huge matchup in the AFC East. Buffalo has lost two in a row after starting the season 5-1. The downward spiral continues and the Patriots win a not so close game. People were ready to write off the Pats earlier in the season, but the show just keeps on going. New England may not have their MVP quarterback, but they still have a lot of talent and a lot of experience. In a strong AFC EAST, I think the Pats emerge. 

GREEN BAY PACKERS @ (-2.5) MINNESOTA VIKINGS
A battle of 4-4 teams in the NFC North. In games like these I give an edge to the home team. NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND. I think the Packers are just a better team at this point. Their last two losses were each by three points, and either game could have been won. This becomes the stepping stone for a the rest of the Packers season. What is Randy Moss was still on the Vikings? Could I quarterback that team? Would there be more than two plays? Hand off to Peterson, bomb to Moss, and...

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS @ (-8.5) MIAMI DOLPHINS
Funny feeling game of the week, I'm taking the Seahawks in this one. I have no explanation either. The Dolphins are clearly the better team, and they are certainly more fun to watch with their wildcat formation. Don't bet on this prediction, it has little chance of being right, hence it being the funny feeling pick of the week. 

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS @ (+6.5) DETROIT LIONS
Once again, I suppose it's worth repeating, I refuse to pick the Lions under any circumstance against any team, with any line. If you gave me the Lions as 100 point underdog to a Pop Warner, I would take Pop Warner to win by more than 100. If you haven't yet figured it out, I am taking the Jaguars. Hip Hip Horray!

TENNESSEE TITANS @ (+2.5) CHICAGO BEARS
I hear a lot of people are taking the Bears in this one. I don't buy it. I have seen Rex Grossman enough to know what he "brings to the table", and it resembles old stinky fish. The Titans have a great defense and will get to Grossman all day. The Bears still have a good defense, but the Thunder and Lightning combo of LenDale White and Chris Johnson will give the Bears fits. This made me think...is there another version of Thunder and Lightning? I couldn't figure out anything that would be better? Suggestions anyone?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS @ (-1) ATLANTA FALCONS
Two dome teams going at it. I think this may be a fun game to watch this Sunday. New Orleans at 4-4 is in last place in the NFC South. I think they were probably picked first in most preseason predictions. Drew Brees has been great, but the defense hasn't. I like the Falcons in this one, mainly because they are at home and Matt Ryan has been solid as a rock. Michael Turner and Roddy White are both headed to the Pro Bowl too, anyone think that would have happened before the season?

CAROLINA PANTHERS @ (+8.5) OAKLAND RAIDERS
The Raiders have been frustrating, they are a team in a dark place...a dark dark place. The Panthers are playing great football, especially on the defensive side of the ball. The Panthers take it to the Raiders, and show them how to look and play like a real football team. 

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS @ (-14.5) SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
14.5? Wow. In the NFL, the lines don't get much higher than 14.5. Let's look back at Kansas City's losses, lost by 7, lost by 15, lost by 24, lost by 34, lost by 24, lost by 4, lost by 3. So they got hammered for a few games, and now maybe they found their pride? I love the Chargers in general, and cannot for the life of me understand why they aren't 6-2. As it stands they are 3-5, and the Chiefs are 1-7. 14.5 is a big line though, and I think pride continues to play a role, and they lose by less than 14.5, anyone for 14 even?

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS @ (-2.5) PITTSBURGH STEELERS
This will be a great game also. Offense versus defense. I always lean towards defense in these, so I guess there is no reason to waste space, Steelers are the pick. 

NEW YORK GIANTS @ (-2.5) PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
Another entertaining conference game, this one in the NFC East. The Giants just keep on rolling along. This is a pick em in my head, so I am picking the Giants. Eli Manning just keeps on getting it done, sometimes its very ugly, but wins are wins. When you are accustomed to winning, no situation seems to daunting. Maybe the Eagles players are still celebrating the Phillies world series win, and they come out a little flat at home. Maybe the Eagles players are jealous of all the nice things the Philly people are saying about the Phillies, and thinking if the Phillies can do it 'why can't us?' (that joke makes sense if you click here)

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS @ (-9.5) ARIZONA CARDINALS
Got this message in my fantasy football league, and I think it sums up the Arizona season pretty well, and how most people feel about it:

In case there is a degenerate gambler in anywhere in you. Arizona is 10-1 to win the NFC title. Right now they have a 3 game lead in their division and are 1 game behind Carolina for the #2 seed (aka first round bye). 

They're deep, talented and with a favorable schedule. They have 2 close loses at Carolina and Washington as a blow out by the NY Jets. 

They look like a lock to host a playoff game...with some health and luck probably a 2nd round game. It would be an easy hedge to bet against the Cardinals in the playoffs to secure yourself a handsome profit no matter the outcome. 


It went on and on. Bottom line about my friend, Smart Guy. I'm taking the Cardinals.


Last week: 6-8
Season (3 weeks): 20-22

No comments: