Friday, October 24, 2008

NFL Picks Week 8

Doesn't this guy deserve all 8 home games??

Great success!!! I went 9-5 last week in my first ever NFL picks post. Picking against the spread is a unique type of challenge.  Sometimes the picks don't have anything to do with the better team over the worse team, but rather the home team or the momentum, or the size of the betting line. Anyway, I hope to keep it up this week and continue to shock the world. Without further ado...

OAKLAND RAIDERS @ (-6.5) BALTIMORE RAVENS 
I took the Raiders last week on a gut feeling and not only did they cover the spread, they won the game outright! I don't foresee that happening again, the Raiders got lucky at home last weekend against a confused looking Jets team. Baltimore looked good last week against Miami, and I think they carry that over again. Willis McGahee is starting to play better and Joe Flacco is "managing the game" as the talking heads would say. The Ravens are the pick. 

ARIZONA CARDINALS @ (-4.5) CAROLINA PANTHERS 
I am gonna stick with defense again here and take the Panthers. I hear Anquan Boldin will probably be coming back this week after getting the bye week to further recover from his sinus injury. Boldin and Fitzgerald are the best receiving duo in the NFL, and they should at least make this game competitive. Fitz is on my fantasy team, so please have him in your endzone prayers

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS @ (-3.5) DALLAS COWBOYS
Three defensive minded teams in a row...who put these games in this order? I'm not gonna stray from the train now, gimmie the Bucs in this game as the Cowboys continue their skid. Brad Johnson and the offense looked horrible last week in getting roasted by the Rams. Giving up 30+ points to the Rams is not a one week fix, I think the Cowboys are in a dark place right now and I'm not sure what it is going to take in order to right the ship. Overspending on Roy Williams was not the solution. If TO doesn't get enough balls on Sunday...does he pout at the press conference? or does he just go after Brad Johnson on the sideline? Only time will tell, but you can be sure he does something cooky. 

WASHINGTON REDSKINS @ (+7.5) DETROIT LIONS
I cannot take Detroit under any circumstance. No matter how good Calvin Johnson is, I just can't do it. The Redskins wins big. Clinton Portis has been out of this world, and I don't know that anyone could have seen it coming. I still don't love Washington overall, but I'm slowly coming around. The Redskins defense has been very impressive in the few games I have been able to watch. If they can keep it up, they could steal the NFC East! How about the Lions game being blacked out in Detroit? If that doesn't send a message to the organization, what else could? No more being bailed out by company's buying tickets at the last minute, even they won't go near the Lions. I am trying to come up with a one word summary for the Lions, "incompetent" comes to mind first. If you have a better/more funny/more clever word, post it. 

BUFFALO BILLS @ (+1.5) MIAMI DOLPHINS
Buffalo has been playing really well, but the low line shows how much respect people have for the Dolphins the year. The crazy wildcat formation with Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams has been brilliant, and more and more pro and college teams are starting to use it in some form or another. I like the Bills in a close game, but I would not be the least bit surprised if Miami pulled out an upset victory, especially because the game is in Miami. 

ST LOUIS RAMS @ (-6.5) NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Another surprisingly low line in my opinion. The Rams have won two straight, but the buck stops here. Now don't get me wrong here, I don't think the Patriots are all the sudden "back" to where they have been, but confidence can be a magical thing. Last week's clinic against the Broncos was something I think they can and will build on. The Patriots win this game and make another statement that they are not going to go down without a strong push to win the AFC East. Cassell and Moss looked to be on the same page on Monday night, and that means trouble for the rest of the teams on the Pats schedule. It wasn't exactly rocket science, throw the ball to the most feared receiver ever, but he seemed to figure it out. 

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS vs. (+2.5) NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
This game will be played across the pond in London, England. Not to be confused with London, Ontario, Canada which is a beautiful little place in its own right. The breaking news today was that Deuce McCallister and Will Smith, among others, are going to be suspended by the NFL for testing positive for a form of water pill steroids. Suspensions before games are always a distraction, regardless of length or violation. I give the edge to the Chargers in this one. I would like to see the Chargers play better, just so the AFC WEst remains interesting. The Chargers and the Broncos play in San Diego the last week of the regular season, and it would be great if it were for the division. Don't get me wrong fellow Denverites, Go Broncos and all that, but winning by default isn't quite as satisfying. You can ask any competitive person about that. Back to the London thing, out of all the teams in the NFL, taking a home game away from the Saints? Really? Really Roger Goodell? The Saints? I hate that the Saints lose a home game, and I am not sure that playing a regular season game in Europe is even a good idea. The NFL makes a KILLING here in the states. The NBA and MLB and NHL all have more of a reason to go overseas, not just because a higher percentage of the league is foreign born, but because other countries like those other three sports. How about not trying to force other countries to like what we like? They (the rest of the world) don't bring the best soccer teams over to the US and force it on us, so why do we do it? 

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS @ (-12.5) NEW YORK JETS
Twelve and a half is a lot of points. The Jets lost to the Raiders last week, and Kansas City really needs an inspiring win. In my opinion...all signs point to taking the Chiefs to cover. So I am taking the Chiefs to cover. Could be a stretch, but I guess I'm bound to make a stretch pick every week. 

ATLANTA FALCONS @ (-8.5) PHILADELPHIA EAGLES 
Matt Ryan has been great. Michael Turner has been great. I don't think the Falcons are quite over the hump yet though. The Eagles have been here before, dealing with injuries, and understanding that they play in a tough division where every game is vital to their playoff chances. Andy Reid and Donovan McNabb will be ready to go and the Eagles will win big. 

CLEVELAND BROWNS @ (-6.5) JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
I had all sorts of faith in Cleveland last week after their huge Monday win over the Giants. They only managed 11 points against the Redskins last week. The Kellen Winslow debacle hurts them, and they fall hard this week. Brady Quinn makes an appearance and seals up the starting job for next week. How is that for bold predictions? The Jaguars in a snoozer, 17-10 or something lame like that. The Jaguars are a team that no one wants to play, ever. They control the clock, don't turn the ball over, and play tough defense. They would be a Big Ten team if they were in the NCAA. Very much like a traditional Wisconsin Badger team. 

NEW YORK GIANTS @ (-2.5) PITTSBURGH STEELERS
Game. of. the. Week. Pittsburgh is too good. Even with the injuries to their running back core, the Steelers are the best team in the AFC right now. The team defense is extraordinary. If the Cleveland defesne gave Eli and the Giants fits, imagine what Pittsburgh is gonna do to them. I really like the Steelers this week and for the rest of the season, barring any Big Ben motorcycle mishaps. (Random thought: I think the NFC East is falling on tough times, all the hype maybe got their heads).

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS @ (-4.5) SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
Have not gotten to watch much of either of these teams. I'll take the Niners because they are at home, and Mike Martz is still a mad scientist of offense. 

CINCINNATI BENGALS @ (-9.5) HOUSTON TEXANS
Funny feeling game of the week, give me the Bengals in this one. I have no explanation, and I generally have a lot of positive things to say about the Texans. They are making the right moves in the organization and are taking steps to become a more competitive franchise (taking notes Detroit Lions?). Andre Johnson is showing the world what he is capable of when he is healthy, and...wow. Houston is clearly better, and they are at home, but my gut says Cincy.

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS @ (-3.5) TENNESSEE TITANS
I like when teams have been there before. The Colts have started 9-0, and they know all about pressure to keep winning, and Monday night showdowns. The Titans are too young to understand the situation they are in. It could be a good thing that they are not aware of the moment, but I tend to lean towards the experience factor in games like this. I'm firmly taking the Colts to beat the Titans on Monday night. 


9-5 on the season, hopefully more good things to come. Have a great weekend everyone!!! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such insightful analysis!