Thursday, January 15, 2009

Lions hire Schwartz...Jim Schwartz


Before anything else, lets get the obvious Schwartz jokes out of the way...youtube video --> "I see your schwartz is as big as mine! or I hate it when I get my schwartz twisted!"

The Detroit Lions have found their next head coach, Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz. Schwartz kinda looks like a Wally and the Beav type of guy, no? Schwartz has been Jeff Fisher's defensive coordinator with the Titans for the last eight years. From what I remember of the last eight years the Titans have always has a pretty legit defense, so I suppose from that aspect I am intrigued by the selection. 

Upon first hearing about the hiring I thought, 'great, another defensive coordinator type, much like Rod Marinelli.' But I decided to hold off too much thought until I did a little homework.

Said homework suggests there is more than meets the eye with Mr. Schwartz. Schwartz was the runner-up to Mike Nolan for the San Francisco 49ers head coaching position in 2005. So that shows that someone else has been high on him, and the 49ers are a pretty well put together organization. Also Schwartz interviewed for the head coaching positions with the Washington Redskins, Miami Dolphins and Atlanta Falcons.

Schwartz got his start in the NFL doing research as a college and pro scout for Bill Belichick (as much as I can't stand all the Belichick praise, some of it has to be legit) on the Cleveland Browns staff in the mid-1990s. Someone with a knowledge of player development is desperately needed in Detroit. I would think that his previous history as a scout is possibly what sold him to the Lions.

Anyway, I hope this works out. The Lions have been killing the great sports fans of Detroit for too long. We want to support the team, so give us a chance to support you!

Next on the Lions agenda, who to take at #1 in the draft? thoughts? A post about the potential will be coming up as the draft approaches. 

No comments: